Pages

Apr 28, 2010

A Note from an ex Starbucks-o-holic

Yes, I was one of them.

I was one of the Starbucks lover, who mindlessly spent almost USD 4 for a Tall Caramel Machiatto, sometimes a couple of times a week before classes (especially during winter). I often went to the Starbucks at downtown ATL, at the Equinox building.

When we moved back to Bali, fortunately, our company handled Starbucks Bali for its Nusa Dua's outlet opening. I could have access to 'free coffee'. Yes, by having a meeting at my client's site, of course, what else they offered. Off business hours, I paid personally as I thought I really like to coffee, the ambience and it is one of our client. Back then, when we did not have to pay mortgage yet (as we stayed at my parents' during the first two years after our return), I could easily spent almost Rp 40,000 for that damn sweet TCM (yes, Tall Caramel Machiatto). Loved it so much... Also the Frappucino, not to forget. My boys also loved it, yeah, we're all coffee-lovers. (ehm, except my hubby darling).

So, ok, now it's not like that anymore. Starbucks coffee really gets deep into my pocket. On the street where my office is located, now I can easily choose one among three coffee providers. All have similar taste, good coffee, easy parking access. Their difference is only on price. For similar taste, well, for slightly lower level of utility (talking from my economist part of brain), I only have to pay half of Starbucks price. I'd simply go to J. Co (yes, this Indonesian doughnut company really killed Krispy Kreme in Kuta, Bali, and other part of Indonesia, I believe) or Baker's Corner (also a domestically owned company), next to Starbucks Denpasar. Open and fair competition really do help customers to get better quality at lower price.

The 2008 global crisis really hit Starbucks, badly. One budget item to slash, on top of the list, as also suggested by Suze Orman, is spending on Starbucks. I did that! For the sake of financial freedom (yay! when?)

Just a fun note, even Justin Bieber mentioned in his hits "Baby" that he didn't need anymore Starbucks. Thanks to his 'baby', who woke him up everyday :)

Personally, I do really feel, holding a Starbucks cup is like an accessories to my whole appearance. Funny, but sadly true.

However, at the end, money always win. Good bye Starbucks.

No comments: